Healthcare reform under the Affordable Care Act is now underway and big changes are being rolled out to make healthcare more accessible to Americans. But what do the changes mean for you and your family?
Coverage for Everyone
Everyone is now eligible for health insurance, regardless of preexisting illnesses or conditions. You can no longer be denied or dropped by insurance providers so long as you pay your premiums, which are no longer more expensive than those for healthy individuals.
Health insurance premiums are no longer higher for women or sick individuals. In fact, the only reasons insurance providers can charge more are age, where you live and tobacco usage. Women, who used to pay up to 40 percent more than men for the same coverage, now pay equal rates and receive coverage for mammograms, pap smears, birth control, breastfeeding supplies and more.
Getting routine preventative screenings and treatments can help you avoid costly health problems later on down the road. Insurance providers must now cover many of these services at no cost to you. In theory, with more access to free preventative care, many more people can live longer, healthier lives by catching illnesses early on while they’re still curable. Some of these free services include annual physical exams, colonoscopies, vaccinations, cholesterol screenings and more.
Insurance providers must now cover more of your healthcare expenses. For every premium dollar you pay, insurers must use 80 percent to pay for medical benefits. The other 20 percent is reserved for administrative and advertising costs. If insurers spend more than 20 percent on their own costs, they must reimburse customers.
Start paving your way toward better health. Call Sound Benefit Solutions at (925) 244-1330 for more information on California health care reform.