Small businesses, which create jobs for two out of every three Americans, do their fair share of community service. And rightly so. As the economic backbone of communities, it’s only right that businesses give back to the people who have contributed to their success. People like to work for and shop at businesses that display social responsibility.
Giving back to the community helps build a loyal clientele, as well as increase a business’ visibility. Plainly stated, it gives consumers another reason to come shop at your store or eat at your restaurant. In fact, 62 percent of small businesses say that participating in community service improves their bottom line and contributes to long-term success.
Here are five ways that your business can get involved with community service:
- Employee volunteer day: Plan a day, or even an afternoon, when you close shop and gather your employees for some volunteer work. Build a house for Habitat for Humanity, cook a meal for a homeless shelter or perform maintenance tasks for an animal shelter. This also doubles as a great team-building exercise!
- Donate to a charity: Select a charity that is meaningful to you and your employees and donate a portion of your business’ proceeds. You may want to choose a charity that lines up with your industry. For example, a pet supply store may wish to donate to an animal shelter.
- Start a collection: Set a collection jar or box by the cash register or door of your business so employees and customers can drop in extra change or specified items. This can be anything from a canned food drive to a Toys for Tots collection.
- Create a scholarship: Support future generations by setting up a scholarship fund. You can select whether you want to support academic excellence, a contest winner, a student pursuing a career in your industry etc. Even a small sum can help pay for books and other supplies.
- Sponsor a children’s sports team: Sports teach children how to work as a team and about the importance of physical activity. Sponsor your favorite school’s sports team(s) to support local children and to gain more exposure for your business. It’s a win-win!
Don’t forget to give back to your staff as well. Call us at (925) 244-1330 for more information on San Francisco employee benefits.